Sunday, March 25, 2007

You Were Born




The silence often of pure innocence Persuades when speaking fails.

William Shakespeare





I took this photograph of Keenan Adams just after his Mother left. She had taken Keenan with her to the small town of De Rust, leaving early one morning with his two brothers. I remember seeing them walking down the road holding her hands tightly. She was leaving the farm, his home to find work in town. Later on in the afternoon I thought I heard his voice so I went up to their home and there he was, back. He had hitchhiked by himself back to Rooi Rivier Farm because this was his home and he wanted to live with his Grandmother, Anna May. Luckily the farm's schoolteacher had seen him hiking by the outskirts of De Rust and brought him back. She told me he never cried at all and was just so determined to go home. I sat with him that afternoon and spoke with him about Anna, his Mum and he had this silent, sad look on his face. He didn't speak...he didn't need to...

4 comments:

Yo mismo said...

It´s difficult for me to find words for this post. Anyway, portrait and story are both hard to forget. I admire your work. Kind regards from Spain

Zachary said...

Jill, I've loved your photos ever since I discovered you on JPG a few months back. Your sense of lighting and expression is just incredible and I love your subject matter. I will be embarking to Africa with the Peace Corps in January of 2008, though I'm not sure where yet, and I hope to capture powerful moments like the ones of yours that I've seen. Thank you for the inspiration.

Zach
zach.rosen@gmail.com
afro-photo.blogspot.com

CatchMe_Ifucan said...

you have captured the eyes saying what the lips wont..he is not bewildered. Thank you for this photo and his story

Anonymous said...

respects beaus glass notgrudge furnish vpat hotspot muzammil jubile criticism ephs
lolikneri havaqatsu