Thursday, March 22, 2007

Hope


"Hope is like a bird that senses dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark."
Unknown


Wedding Day, I think, my favourite photograph of the documentary series, "People Of The Klein Karoo". Taken early in the morning in Annies bedroom just before her second marriage. The day before, Annie asked me if I could come over and take photographs for the family. I got there early and just sat on the floor in the room and quietly watched the proceedings. The light was shining through the small window on the left. There was much going on and the mood was a mix of excitement and anxiety. Her little girl, Beetjie was very distressed and held on to her Mother.

I watched Beetjie mostly and just saw her expressions and felt her hesitancy and some sadness. I don't know if she remembers her Father as she was very little when he died. Annie is a wonderful Mother and calmed the little girl down and soon Beetjie was back to her old self and joining in the festivities. Just for a few moments, though in these shots, I saw the true emotions show through.

I didn't stay long and I left almost unnoticed. Even with all the excitement and activity, there was a stillness and silence about their home. Hope .....

1 comment:

Beyond the obvious said...

Hi Jill, I've really enjoyed reading your blog.It's deeply personal, thought provoking and sensitive, just like your images. Thank you for sharing your vision and thoughts. They are a precious gift to everyone that stops by to visit and contemplate what you have created. Keep up the good work.

Luv,
Paul
x