Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Soul


Whatever satisfies the soul is truth. Walt Whitman


I think what I most search for in my work, is soul, because it is real, it has meaning and it makes an impact. If you can portray emotion, never mind the technical aspects of the photograph, you have achieved more than most.

In this photograph of Annie Elna called , simply 9 months, I think I have captured the inner sadness of her. Pregnant and concerned for the future, two other children and soon to be remarried. Annie lost her first husband in a car accident. She is a woman of great faith and I often attended the little informal Church gatherings in Oupa Hendriks home and I would listen to her sing her sad songs in the most beautiful deep and enchanting voice.

It took many months for her to trust me and while I would photograph her two children, Selwyn and Beetjie frequently, Annie always held back. Finally she came to trust me and I always gave her the respect she deserved. She has since remarried and had another son, the family moved away to another farm but Selwyn, her first born son , came back to Red River Farm to live with his Grandfather. I never asked why, it was not my place to question their choices.

I am sitting here in Australia now thinking and wondering how they all are....always seeing those incredibly sad eyes and hoping that one day, she will find some peace......

No comments: